Planning your child’s birthday party can seem overwhelming as there are so many things to consider. Deciding whether to do the party at home or at a party venue and choosing between which venues can leave some parents feeling defeated.
Some people throw parties at home because it seems like the most economical choice, however, this is not always the case. Also, they may not realize that a venue can alleviate so many considerations and responsibilities than when doing it in your home.
When selecting a party location, primary things you should consider are: Safety for both your child and your guests, comfort for your group and of course the opportunity for fun! Let’s highlight the advantages of both home parties and kids party venues:
Choosing between home or venue to host your child’s birthday party?
Many parents choose and enjoy hosting their child’s birthday party in their own home and this is a great option for certain birthday years. There are other birthday years where it can be more enjoyable for both the birthday child and parents to choose an outside venue. A mix of the two is important to keep in mind.
It’s important to not have the misconception that having a party in your home is easier to organize and more comfortable for your guests, because this is not always true.
Pros for home party:
- If the party gets too overwhelming for your child, they can go to their room or a familiar quiet spot to recalibrate.
- You do not have to drive anywhere to get to the party.
- You can host your guests as long as you like and there are no limits on how long they can stay.
- No need to transport decorations and you can set up your theme decorations however and whenever you choose, day of…or days earlier if you enjoy having everything displayed.
- You can cook and serve whatever food/drink items you like, including alcohol, with no particular food rules or schedule.
Cons for a home party:
- There is a lot of cleaning before and after the party, which is time consuming if you do it yourself and expensive if you are able to hire someone to do it.
- You have to come up with a plan/schedule for the party and some sort of activity to keep the kids entertained.
- You will most likely need to decorate your space, from scratch, to make a festive birthday party appeal and will not be able to ‘surprise’ your birthday child with the theme since you will need to work ahead of the party to make it ‘just right’.
- You have to be comfortable with a lot of people, particularly kids, in your home potentially breaking things.
- You will need to manage your guests to be on their best behavior, unless you are able to hire event staff to assist you.
- Guests can stay AS LONG as they like…and maybe sometimes longer than you would like.
- You might get exhausted hosting your child’s birthday party at home, be careful.
- The costs can add up when you consider everything that goes into it, especially if your guests expect to be served alcohol.
‘If the cons are too much, consider choosing a birthday party venue’
It’s important to consider costs and comfort when deciding between different party venues, but there are other things to keep in mind as well. Here are some things to consider:
- Venue and party size
- Decorations and themes
- The party package and privacy
The event venue that you choose should have ample space for your group. Ideally, the venue will have private room options to allow your group to celebrate together without strangers during both their activity and dining time. If your party child wants to have an active, fun birthday party, then they will need lots of space to ‘spread their wings’.
Choose a venue that makes your life easier by offering a venue theme that is attractive to your birthday child. Doing so will reduce your need to come up with a theme from scratch and even get you off the hook from doing any decorating if you choose. If you have a theme in mind make sure the venue allows you to bring in your own decorations. If you don’t have a theme in mind, be sure to ask if the venue provides any decorating options that you can purchase, such as balloons.
Usually, the party package is restricted to a certain number of guests, be sure to inquire about the costs of inviting additional guests and make sure the venue is large enough to comfortably accommodate your group size. Be sure to ask if your play area is private or if you will be sharing it with other parties or patrons. Ideally, you will be able to choose a venue that keeps all aspects of your party private.
Be sure to find out in advance if your chosen venue provides food or whether you will need to supply it yourself. The benefit of having the venue do it, is that you don’t need to prep, prepare, clean, or transport the food. Sometimes parents like to do a combination, for example, bring their own veggies and birthday cake but have the venue provide pizza. Again, it is important to ask what your options are.
If you’re doing the party at home you are most likely doing a lot of the ‘work’ yourself or hiring someone to do it. If you do it at a venue be sure to inquire if there will be a dedicated staff member helping you.
Whatever you decide, make sure your child is excited about it. A birthday party is a special occasion and marks an important transition in your child’s life. We at Scooter’s Jungle believe it may be helpful to visit the venue ahead of time to see it and get a feel before you invite guests. Not all venues offer 100% private parties. Many venues do not offer any private options or only offer the dining portion as private. Learn more about which venues offer 100% private birthday parties that are kid friendly and alcohol free, such as Scooter’s Jungle.
If you do the party at home make sure any activities or entertainment you have are age appropriate and something your child will enjoy. When choosing from countless places to have a kid’s party, consider the options available and don’t restrict yourself to home only.
Join us for a Spooktacular Halloween party where costumes are encouraged!
Scooter’s Jungle has created the spookiest night at the jungle where costumes meet bounce house! Our locations in Valencia, Placentia and South Bay will be hosting a family fun Halloween event and appropriate for all ages. See below for location specific details.
Bring your socks and family friendly costumes. These Halloween Events may sell out, so get your tickets Today!
Monday, October 28 | 5:00 pm to 8:00pm
Call today to purchase tickets | 661-877-4400
Valencia’s 3 Hour Halloween Trick or Treat Open Play will have vendors and candy trick or treating. Face Painters, Cupcake Vendors, Balloon Artists and more. This is one of the biggest events at Scooter’s Jungle- you don’t want to miss it. These Halloween Events may sell out, so get your tickets Today! Take Advantage of The Early Bird Presale Price of $15 each child or $20 at the door, includes 1 adult, extra adults=$3/each. Additional siblings under the age of 1 are FREE when accompanied with a paid child entry. Limited space available. No outside food, gifts, or party items – please.
Pizza is available at $3/slice or 2 for $5.
Wednesday, October 30 | 5:30 pm to 8:00pm
Call today to purchase tickets | 714-223-5730
Placentia’s Spooktacular Party will have Tricks, Treats, and TONS of Family Fun! Halloween Costume Prizes! This is one of the biggest events at Scooter’s Jungle- you don’t want to miss it. These Halloween Events may sell out, so get your tickets Today! Take Advantage of The Early Bird Presale Price of $8 each child (deadline 10/29) or $10 at the door, includes 1 adult, extra adults=$5/each. Additional siblings under the age of 1 are FREE when accompanied with a paid child entry. Limited space available. THIS EVENT WILL SELL OUT. AT THE DOOR TICKETS WILL BE LIMITED. PRE-SALE TICKETS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GUARANTEE ENTRY.
Pizza is available at $2/slice, $16.55/Whole
***Memberships not included in special events however will include discount at the door.***
Wednesday, October 30 | 5:00 pm to 8:00pm
Call today to purchase tickets | 310-848-1380
El Segundo’s 2nd Annual Halloween Party will have Tricks, Treats, and TONS of Family Fun! Halloween Costume Prizes! This is one of the biggest events at Scooter’s Jungle- you don’t want to miss it. These Halloween Events may sell out, so get your tickets Today! Take Advantage of The Early Bird Presale Price of $20 each child (deadline 10/29) or $25 at the door, includes 1 adult, extra adults=$5/each. Additional siblings under the age of 1 are FREE when accompanied with a paid child entry. Limited space available. THIS EVENT WILL SELL OUT. AT THE DOOR TICKETS WILL BE LIMITED. PRE-SALE TICKETS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GUARANTEE ENTRY.
Pizza is available at $2.50/slice, $15.99/Whole
The question of where to hold a kids birthday bash can make the difference between a dull and an awesome party. The venue of a bash will place restrictions on what activities you can do and how many guests you can invite.
Birthday bash at home
The pros of holding the bash at home are;
- There are no costs for venue
- No Transportation of party goods and decor needed
- Ideal if the guest list is not long
The biggest cons for holding a birthday bash at home are;
- There is restriction of space. The average home will likely not have the space for seating all the guests and playful kids,
- House Clean-up before AND after the party is needed,
- Need to do LOTS of decorating if want a FUN themed atmosphere,
- Limited activities. The games that can be played at home are limited as the equipment and playing items are not many,
- Adults usually expect alcohol at a home party, increasing expense and changing the quality of the kid’s birthday party experience,
- There is the danger of antagonizing the neighbors as the kids play around.
Birthday at an Indoor playground
Indoor playgrounds like Scooter Jungle are a better alternative for birthday bashes as they offer more space and a wider range of activities for both adult and children guests. The advantages of a birthday bash at an indoor playground are;
- There is ample space for comfortable seating during food and drinks for all invited guests
- More fun and games indoor playgrounds have a wide variety of game equipment like inflatables, balls, swings etc,
- More fun for the parent as the birthday venue handles everything leaving the parent to enjoy along with the other guests,
- The indoor playground has qualified staff to supervise the kids during play time making it safer and interactive,
- There are no worries for cleaning up after. You get in, enjoy and leave others to clean up which is a big relief,
- Alcohol free zone…get’s rid of the hassle of deciding if you offer liquor at your child’s party,
- There are no worries about the neighbors calling the authorities in protest to noisy on goings. The bash can get as fun and noisy as the kids want it.
Holding a kid’s birthday bash at an indoor playground takes most of the work from the parent’s hands and is handled by people who do it as a profession ensuring a better experience. Some will get worried that holding a bash at an indoor playground is expensive.
Look for money saving packages and deals when booking to save funds on your party. Cutting out unnecessary extras and handling some of the work is a way to get a good discount. Some venues will allow you to bring some food and drinks further cutting the costs and giving a nice variety to your food offering. At the end of the day, with a good arrangement , you are sure of loads of fun for kids and adults.